I woke up today at 6pm to sunny skies and calm winds. The weather lady said we were in the clear as far as thunder storms were concerned, so my Dad and I made the decision to dunk the boat and see what happens.
Well at that marina we noticed some serious clouds moving in from the northwest. A quick check of the radar spelled it all out -storms on the way.
We chose to wait it out and after 45 minutes we were good to go.
At around 8:30pm I arrived in 38 feet of water and began marking a few small piles here and there. Tubes went in the water and I had high hopes that the fish would be on the feed and not in lockjaw mode.
2 minutes into the troll and the port side clicker starts screaming – fish on!
Thank God! I thought, the bass are not in lockjaw mode. After a nice strong fight we boated the aggressive bass which was pushing the 30 pound mark. Great start!
Unfortunately off in the distance I could not help but notice another thunder storm rolling in. I decided to play it safe and head for the dock and boy am I glad I did.
The lightning, wind and rain of this storm was something serious. We had the boat docked about 15 minutes before the storm hit – good timing to say the least.
With northwest winds of 15-25mph predicted for the rest of tonight I decided to call it quits and start anew tomorrow. Hopefully the winds lay down a bit in the morning and we are able to sneak out again. I think there is a lot of good potential if we are able to get out in the AM.
We will see!
Click here for more information on this trip and what to expect tomorrow morning.
Take care and good luck!