Note from Ryan: This recipe from Lauren was originally published in August of 2015. Today I updated this post with new information and links to other popular bluefish recipes - including the MFCC Bluefish "Cookbook" which you can download below. Enjoy!
Here’s something to wrap your head around – bluefish that tastes delicious!
I’ve never been a big fan of bluefish – their sharp teeth and oily, fishy and worst of all blue meat, make them less than desirable (at least for me).
For a long time Ryan and I have tried to figure out a simple and delicious way to cook bluefish without using mayonnaise.
That's when one of our members here on My Fishing Cape Cod, Eric Meyer, shared with us his recipe for caramelized bluefish.
Oh the magic of a marinade!
After catching his latest bluefish, Ryan texted me to say that we would be having bluefish for dinner.
At first I was less than thrilled!
Ryan texted me to ask what a good side would be for the bluefish, and my response was “ick, nothing.”
However, I quickly changed my mind after trying one bite of caramelized bluefish.
The best part about this dish? It only needs two ingredients.
DISCLAIMER: Try this recipe on a small piece of the bluefish fillet first.
About 70% of readers report back that this recipe is a winner, and tasted delicious. The other 30% haven't had the best of luck. This could be due to the brand of blush wine vinaigrette or the quality of the vinaigrette, or something else entirely. This recipe turns out differently for so many people, so please make this at your own risk!
In a deep dish, arrange the bluefish and pour the blush wine vinaigrette over the fillet. Let it marinate for no longer than 30 minutes.
Set your broiler to high and place the marinated bluefish on a baking sheet with tin foil. Arrange the fillets on the baking pan and broil on the second-to-top rack for 10 minutes, letting it caramelize.
Watch carefully, as the fish can easily burn.
After 10 minutes, set the oven to 350 degrees and move the fish to the bottom rack, allowing it to cook for another 10 minutes.
The fish should be caramelized at this point and ready to eat. Serve immediately or store fish in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one day.
Favorite Side Dishes
I served this dish with some simple rice pilaf and another recipe of my own - sauteed mushrooms, chickpeas and kale with pesto.
It’s a simple side dish to put together and everything can be made at the same time effortlessly.
You can find the recipe for the chickpeas and kale on my cooking website Creatively Delish by clicking here.
MFCC Bluefish "Cookbook"
Back in June of 2019 I posted this somewhat silly recipe for bluefish, where you cook the fish on a cast iron pan in the oven, then throw the fish out, and eat the pan.
I wonder how many of you got all the way to the end before realizing it was a joke!?
All kidding aside, at the end of the post I asked readers to share their own favorite bluefish recipes, and the response was great!
Through the forum, email and post comments, I am excited to report that I was able to put together a member contribution bluefish recipe e-book, with tried and beloved bluefish recipes, shared by members and fans of My Fishing Cape Cod.
This free E-book has recipes for smoking, broiling, grilling and baking bluefish, with a huge variety of different flavor options.
Recipes in this ebook include:
Do you like smoked fish but don't have a smoker? No problem! There's even a recipe in the ebook for how to smoke bluefish using only your grill and a few tuna cans.
To download your copy of the MFCC Member Contribution Bluefish E-Cookbook, click here!
I also owe a big thank you to everyone from My Fishing Cape Cod who helped contribute to this cookbook!
Thank you everyone!!!
More Bluefish Recipes
In addition to the bluefish recipe cookbook above, we currently have 4 additional delicious bluefish recipes here on My Fishing Cape Cod.
We even have a video footage of Ryan's first attempt at smoking bluefish! Plus my Mediterranean Bluefish is one of my favorites for incorporating a nice red sauce into the dish.
Below you will find links to each of these bluefish recipe posts. Give them a click and please let me know what you think by leaving me a comment below.
Thank you as always for reading this post! I am so happy that so many of you are utilizing My Fishing Cape Cod as a resource for quality bluefish recipes.
Please let me know how these recipes work out for you by leaving a comment below. I have heard the good, the bad and the ugly, so just be honest and keep me posted with how your bluefish recipes are turning out.
I am always happy to help with questions, so please just let me know.
Through the eyes of a fishermans’ wife, I’m excited to share my cooking and photography with you here on MFCC. You can learn more about cooking, and get more recipes by visiting my website Creatively Delish.