my fishing cape cod logo

Lot of Bait, Few Nice Bass – July 7 Fishing Report

A report!  Finally!

With all the website work, other shenanigans, and recent Fourth of July activity, it's been a while since I've been on the water-and even longer since publishing a fishing report.  Nevertheless here is the first of what should be many more to come.

After a very slow showing off Barnstable during our previous Cape Cod Bay night trip, things seem to be picking up, at least for the moment.  Waxing moons seem to produce better than waning moons in our neck of the woods, so with flat calm seas and a waxing moon at our backs, my confidence was riding high.

A "just before dark" striper.

Not to mention I had the man, the myth and the legend Jake Collins at my side.

Like previously mentioned, with all the Independence Day nonsense going on it had been a while since I had a trip.  With a full weekend of fishing ahead, I figured a little recon couldn't hurt.

The first surprise of the night was the water temperature.  My Humminbird was reading a balmy 70 degrees, much warmer than the low 60 degree temperatures encountered during my last expedition.  Tons of bait, birds and schoolie bass had infiltrated the East End of the Cape Cod Canal.  It was a welcoming, and encouraging site.

As soon as I had the Miss Loretta clear of the last of the canal's green cans we began marking bait.  Before I knew it, we were pretty much surrounded by bait balls.

A nice Cape Cod Bay 25-30 pound striped bass.

The bait was extremely skittish.  From the looks of it I'd say they were tinker mackerel.  Skittish or not the baitfish were everywhere.  Individual bait balls could be seen across the horizon to the east and to the west.

About a half hour later we had our first definitive marks on the sonar-a school of around a half dozen bass.  Tubes in!

A half hour into the troll and the clicker started clicking.  4 colors and a 24 inch long red tube proved to be the ticket for a nice 25-30 pound striper.  Great start!

Jake with his first bass of the year.

Tubes back in, and twenty minutes later, "click, click, click CLICK!" fish on!  The bass put up a healthy fight, and a few minutes later we had another 25-30 pound bass flopping on the deck.

The stinger hook on the tube was responsible for both hookups.

A few bluefish later and it was time to head for the docks.  Lots to do tomorrow morning.  A few hours of recon is certainly better than none at all.  All in all a beautiful evening on the water, and a lot of life out there on the Bay.

Hopefully the bait, bass, and good weather will stick around.

Check back this weekend for more reports.

Tight lines and catch 'em up!


  1. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

    1. Hey thank you very much! I appreciate the good luck wishes, I’ll be heading out tonight so we will see how it goes.

      Take Care,



Leave a Comment