Thank you to the 25 teams of anglers who participated this past weekend in The "24hr Grind" My Fishing Cape Cod Surfcasting Tournament. Many of the teams fished for 24 hours straight!
Based off reports, it seems like there are a lot of striped bass roaming Cape Cod's beaches, inlets and estuaries right now. No "monsters" were caught during the tournament, but plenty of fish up to 32 inches were landed.
For this tournament, it was all catch and release, and a team’s total score was the combined length of their two longest striped bass. The team with the most inches wins. Here are the results!
1st place - Ben Sussman and Derek Jones - 63.5 inches
2nd place - Val Pinkhasov and Kyle Cann - 62.5 inches
3rd place - Dex Chadsey and Tom Simpson - 60.0 inches
The weather yesterday for our awards ceremony and meetup could not have been any better and I had a terrific time catching up with anglers from My Fishing Cape Cod and meeting new members.
If you would like to learn more about how this tournament worked, then please continue reading below. It would be great to have you participate in 2023.
Tight lines! 🎣
The "24hr Grind" Surfcasting Tournament
This coming weekend we're looking for 25 two angler teams of surfcasters to showcase their striped bass catching talent at The "24hr Grind" My Fishing Cape Cod Surfcasting Tournament & Meetup! The tournament will begin at 1pm on Saturday, October 15th and continue until Sunday October 16th at 1pm.
This is a team event and there is no cost to join the tournament, but you do have to signup in order to participate. Also, you don’t have to participate in the tournament to attend the meetup and awards at 1pm on Sunday at Sandy Neck, so please feel free to swing on by!
As mentioned above the awards ceremony and meetup will commence at 1pm on Sunday at Sandy Neck Beach in Barnstable. The meetup will be a great opportunity to get together and meet other surfcasters from MFCC. Plus you’ll have a chance at winning some awesome free raffle prizes and enjoy a hot cup of Snowy Owl coffee - just for showing up!
This year the first place team will go home with $300 worth of gift certificates to TheMightyFish.com, two My Fishing Cape Cod hats, lures from East End Lure Co., lures from Monomoy Tackle and more! Everyone else will receive free raffle tickets for a chance at winning an assortment of prizes and items.
We’ve decided that the use of boats or kayaks to reach islands or other shore fishing destinations will not be allowed. If you can’t get there by walking, wading or swimming, then the area is out of bounds.
For measuring fish we recommend using a bump board, however the use of regular tape measures will be allowed. We will not be providing bump boards and tape measures, so be sure to purchase one before the tournament starts.
Please take a moment to review the rest of the rules below, and if you have any questions then please let me know.
Here are the rules:
- You can fish from shore at any Cape Cod location where it is legal to fish but you must be on the Cape side, (over the Sagamore or Bourne Bridge). The Cape Cod Canal itself is off limits.
- Qualifying striped bass must be at least 22 inches long. Measuring fish using a regular tape measure is acceptable, however we recommend measuring fish using a bump board with a 90 degree bend if possible.
- Teammates must fish together and measure fish together. One teammate should position the fish on the board/tape while the other teammate snaps a photo. The fish photo needs to include the entire fish on the board/tape.
- A team’s total score will be the combined length of your two longest striped bass. The team with the most inches wins!
- Qualifying striped bass photos (from cell phone) must be presented to MFCC member Mike Marcus at Sandy Neck for verification between 1 pm and 1:30 pm.
If you don’t have a partner then we can probably pair you up with someone. You can let us know this while registering. Please click here to complete a short signup form to join the tournament.
Thanks again to everyone who has already joined this tournament and please let me know if you have any questions. I am looking forward to seeing you this weekend and catching some fish!